The Benefits of Pomegranates
The tart but sweet fruit is full of benefits for your body, both inside and out. What makes it such an awesome ingredient?
It's rich in anti-oxidants, which are exactly what your skin and body needs to fight the signs of ageing. Pomegranate helps to neutralize free radicals and protect your cells against oxidation.
Pomegranate sterols are extremely moisturizing. They penetrate cells deeply to nourish and plump and give you the look of radiant health.
The pomegranate is high in vitamins and antioxidants.
It has three times as many antioxidants as red wine and green tea, containing three types of poylphenols—tannins, athocyanins and ellagic acid. Various studies suggest that pomegranate juice and/or pomegranate extract helps support the immune system and promote healthy blood circulation, control bad cholesterol and keeps arteries clear, reduces the risk of heart disease, heart attack and stroke and the risk of certain cancers. Pomegranate extract is capable of protecting against oxidative damage, while also increasing/ maintaining the levels of antioxidant molecules in vivo (within the living body). Apparently, ellagic acid helps to increase the body's own built-in antioxidant glutathione, which also helps protect cells from free radical damage.The antioxidant property of the pomegranate is just one of the fruit’s many attributes, its extract can destroy several viruses on contact. If anything deserves to be dubbed a Superfruit, then it is pomegranate!
Skin Care Benefits
With its incredible antioxidant, anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties and ability to encourage radiant skin, the pomegranate has been incorporated into skin care; especially anti-aging and sun care products. It can help with a number of skin care issues that women of color can face, including dry skin, age spots, hyperpigmentation, acne flare-ups and acne scars.
1. Cell Regeneration. Pomegranate has natural fruit acids that provide a gentle exfoliation effect when applied to the skin. As dead, dry skin cells are exfoliated away, fresh new skin is revealed. It's also chock full of Vitamin C which is exactly what the skin needs in order to form new collagen and increase elasticity. Pomegranates help protect the epidermis (the outer layer of the skin) and helps with skin cell regeneration in the epidermis and dermis (inner layer), increasing circulation and healing the skin, aiding in tissue repair and wound healing.
2. Sun Protection. Pomegranates have sun protective compounds that protect the skin against free radical damage, help prevent skin cancer, relieve sunburn and reduce the signs of sun damage. Pomegranate seed oil works to protect against skin cancer because of ellagic acid, a polyphenol antioxidant found in large quantities in pomegranates, which researchers have found inhibits the growth of skin tumors.
3. Anti-Aging. Pomegranates protect against premature aging by helping reduce the signs of skin aging caused by sun damage and exposure, such as wrinkles and fine lines. Pomegranates also help prevent hyperpigmentation and age spots.
4. Youthful Skin. Pomegranates promote smooth, firm skin by promoting collagen and elastin production and soften skin.
5. Dry Skin. It is a great ingredient for skin care because its small molecular structure allows it to penetrates deeply into the skin. It works for most skin types, (which depends on the skin care ingredients pomegranate is combined with).
Since pomegranate oil penetrates deeply into the skin, it is effective for treating dry skin. It soothes dry, cracked and irritated skin. It contains punicic acid, an omega 5 fatty acid that hydrates and prevents moisture loss.
6. Oily Skin/Combination Skin. Pomegranate oil even works for oily skin and the use of pomegranate have been beneficial in skin care products for acne prone skin, to combat breakouts, reduce scarring and sooth minor irritations.